M.D., FACEP, FAAUCM
Dr. FitzGerald Alcindor, MD, FACEP, FAAUCM, has been practicing Emergency Medicine since 1999, in settings where Addiction problems are daily encounters. He has treated addiction in various presentations, from the walk-in patient to the most critical. In the office setting, he will apply the same meticulous methods to understand your situation and find the best ways to walk you through diagnosis, treatment and recovery.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Memberships in Professional Societies
- Teaching Experience
- Academic Activity
Name: Fitzgerald Alcindor, M.D., FACEP, FAAUCM
9/1987 B.S. St. John’s University, Jamaica, NY
5/1991 M.D. SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn College of Medicine, Brooklyn, NY
Internships and Residencies:
7/1991-6/1992 Intern, General Surgery, Booth Memorial Hospital, New York
University General Surgery Program
7/1992-6/1995 Resident, General Surgery, Manhattan Program Cabrini Medical Center, New York Medical College, New York, NY
7/1996-6/1999 Resident, Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Emergency Medicine Residency, New York, NY
Licensure and Certification:
Fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians
Fellow of the American Academy of Urgent Care Medicine, 2012
Diplomate, American Board of Emergency Medicine 2001-2011, 2011-2021
Diplomate, American Board of Urgent Care/Ambulatory Medicine 2003-2010, 2011-2019
New York State Licensure
NYC REMAC On-Line Medical Control Physician #34-78-01 (2003-2008)
Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
Drug Enforcement Administration Number
Advanced Trauma Life Support Provider (2003-07)
Advanced Cardiopulmonary Life Support Provider and Instructor (2003-05)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support Provider and Instructor (2003-05)
Basic Life Support Provider and Instructor (2003-05)
Advanced Pediatric Life Support (APLS) Course 2004-2006
Certification to prescribe Buprenorphine for the Treatment of Opioid Addiction (February 2016)
6/1995-6/1996 Attending Physician, Victory Memorial Hospital Emergency Department, Brooklyn, NY
7/1995-6/1996 Attending Physician, Per Diem, Peninsula Hospital Center Emergency Department and Medical Clinic, Far Rockaway, NY
7/1999-6/2002 Attending Physician, Emergency Department, North Shore University Hospital, Emergency Medicine Residency Program, Manhasset, NY
7/1999-5/2012 Attending Physician, Emergency Department, North Shore University Hospital @ Forest Hills, Queens, New York
8/1999-2/2003 Attending Physician, Per Diem, Emergency Department, Mercy Medical Center, Rockville Centre, New York
8/1999-7/200 Attending Physician, Per Diem, Emergency Department, Brookhaven Hospital Medical Center, Patchogue, New York
2000 Attending Physician, Per Diem, Emergency Department, Huntington hospital, Huntington, New York
1/2002-4/2003 Assistant Director, Emergency Department, North Shore University Hospital @ Forest Hills, New York
4/2003-4/2004 Director, Emergency Department, Peninsula Hospital Center, New York
6/2004-12/2008 Assistant Director, Emergency Department, North Shore University Hospital @Forest Hills, New York
7/2005-2016 Voluntary Attending, Mercy Medical Center Dept of Family Practice
7/2005- 2016 Voluntary Attending, Nassau University Medical Center, Dept of Medicine
6/2005-8/2016 Private Practice, Fitzgerald Alcindor MD PLLC, Hempstead, New York
3/2006-2016 Voluntary Attending, Winthrop University Hospital, Dept of Family Practice
8/2012-4/2015 Staff, Attending Physician, Winthrop University Hospital Emergency Dept.
7/2013-4/2017 Assistant Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine, SUNY @ StonyBrook School of Medicine
Awards and Honors:
1983 Founder & President, Haitian Club @Andrew Jackson High School
1984 Athletic Recognition Trophy, Tennis Team , Andrew Jackson High School
1983 French Regents Medal/Honor Roll at Andrew Jackson High School
1986 – 1987 United Federation of Teachers College Scholarship
1986 – 1987 John’s University Scholarship
1988 Daniel Hale William Society Award at SUNY Brooklyn
1990-1991 Vice-President, Daniel Hale William Society, SUNY Brooklyn
1991 M.D. with Distinction in Research at SUNY Brooklyn
1999-2006 AMA Physician’s Recognition Award. 2003-2006
2002-2003 Assistant Director, Emergency Department, NSUH-Forest Hills Hospital
2001, 2004 Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Service in advancing Professional Nursing Education, Adelphi University Masters Nurse Practitioner Program
2003-2004 Director, Emergency Department, Peninsula Hospital Center, Far Rockaway, New York. Affiliate of North Shore Health System.
2003-2012 Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
2003-2010 Clinical Assistant Professor, New York University School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine/NSUH Emergency Medicine Residency Program
2004 Keynote Speaker, National Medical Association Chapter @NYCOM 2004 Minority Graduation Class Dinner: “You and The Future”.
2007-10 Preceptor, Family Nurse Practitioner Program, SUNY Downstate Medical Center
2010-2015 Assistant Professor, Dept of Emergency Medicine at the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine at Hofstra University, NY. Was being Processed for promotion to Associate Professor In 2012.
- Alcindor F, Valderrama R, Canavaggio M, Lee H, Montesinos C, Madrid RE, Merino RR, Pipia PA. Imaging of Human T-Lymphotrophic Virus Type I-Associated Chronic Progressive Myeloneuropathies. Neuroradiology 1992;35:69-74.
- Bergman M, Tornetta P, Kerina M, Sandhu H, Simon G, Desyne G, Alcindor F. FemurFractures Caused by Gunshot Wounds: Treatment by Immediate Reamed Intramedullary Nailing. J Trauma 1993;34(6):783-5
- LaRaja RD, Meo MA, Alcindor F. Local Chest Wall Recurrence of Breast Cancer Forty Years after Radical Mastectomy: A Case Report. Breast Disease 1994;7(3):203-205.
- Alcindor F. First-Year EM Impressions. Alumni Newsletter, Beth Israel Medical Center, 1997.
- Alcindor F, Stoller M. Perceptions of Medical Providers Regarding Their Care of HIV-Positive Patients In The Emergency Department Setting. Supplement to Annals of Emergency Medicine 34(4)S42, Abstract #161, Oct. 1999. Also presented as a Poster At the 1999 ACEP Research Forum, Oct. 1999, Las Vegas.
- Alcindor F. Psychiatric & Behavioral Disorders, in Med-Challenger EM For Emergency Physicians comprehensive Questions Software, 2000. Chapter Review.
- Alcindor F. Hematology & Oncology, in Med-Challenger EM For Emergency Physicians Comprehensive Questions Software, 2000. Chapter Review.
- Totten YV, Alcindor F. Allergic Urgencies and Emergencies, in Management of Adult Urgencies and Emergencies, Richard Birrer (ed), First edition, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2001, p.165-183.
- Alcindor F. Malignancy Complications In The Elderly. Geriatric Emergency Medicine Reports, Vol. 1, No.3, October 2002.
- Alcindor F. Trauma Management An Emergency Medicine Approach, Ferrera PC, Colluciello SA, Marx JA, Verdile VP, Gibbs MA (eds), Mosby, 2001. Book Review. Annals of Emergency Medicine.2001;38(1):105-106.
- Alcindor, F. The Specialist, a Monthly Column in Emergency Physicians Monthly:
Complications of Abdominal pain In the Elderly, Vol 13, Number 4, April 2006
Complications of Chest Pain In the Elderly, Vol 13, Number 6, June 2006
Vaginal Bleeding In the Elderly Woman, Vol 13, Number 7, July 2006
Complications of Elder Abuse, Vol 13, Number 8, August 2006
Consequences of Frailty & Failure to Thrive, Vol 13, Number 9, September 2006
Headache in the Elderly, Vol 13, Number 10, October 2006
Hip Pain in the Elderly, Vol 14, Number 2, December 2006
Depression & Suicide In the Elderly Part I, February 2007
Suicide In The Elderly, Part II, March 2007
Testicular Pain-Differential In the Elderly, May 2007
LIFE BEYOND THE ED: Transitioning to Administration. An interview with Barry Rosenthal, MD, EM Chairman @ Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola. NY.
Emergency Physicians Monthly, Vol 20, Number 1, January 2013.
- Manuscript Review for Annals of Emergency Medicine: ”Older Fallers Attended To By An Ambulance: A Vulnerable Population At High Risk Of Future Falls.” Manuscript number 2012-825. July 2012.
- Manuscript Review for Annals of Emergency Medicine: ”Heparin-induce d Anaphylactoid Reaction Associated with Heparin-induced Thrombocytopenia in the Emergency Department”. Manuscript Number 2012-1565.December 2012.
- Manuscript Review for Annals of Emergency Medicine: Bilateral Shoulder Dislocation: A case Report. Manuscript Number 2014-1045. August 2014. See Addendum: Academic Activity 2013-2015
- Manuscript Review for Annals of Emergency Medicine: “Variations in Elderly Peoples’ Visits to the Emergency Departments in Iceland: A Five-year Population Study”. Manuscript Number 2016- 1471. August 2016.
- 1987-1999 AMA member
- ACEP member
- 1996-1999 EMRA member
- 1997-1999 EMRA Representative for Beth Israel Medical Center
- 1997-1999 SAEM member
- 1998-1999 Emergency Medicine Resident Committee of NY ACEP, Secretary
- 1999-2002 Society of Chest Pain Providers member
- 1999-2001 Chapter Reviewer for Challenger Corporation
- 2001-now Reviewer for Annals of Emergency Medicine
- 2001- Now The American College of Physician Executives
- 2003-Now American Academy of Ambulatory Care Medicine
- 2003 Geriatric Emergency Medicine Section of ACEP
- 2003-2005 New York Academy of Sciences
- 2006- Contributor, Emergency Physicians Monthly
- 2007-2016 Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Emergency Physicians Monthly
- 2008-Now Member, Board of Directors, American Academy of Urgent Care Medicine (AAUCM)
- -Member, Executive Council; Co-Chairman of Pediatric Education Committee;
- -Co-Chairman, Residency Committee
- 9/4/2013 Performed Urgent Care Center Re-Accreditation in, Rochester, NY-done for AAUCM
1986 Biology Laboratory Teaching Assistant, St. John’s University, Jamaica, NY
1988 Anatomy Laboratory Tutor in Minority Summer Program at SUNY Brooklyn
1996 Family Health Center Attending, Peninsula Hospital Medical Center
1999-2002 Attending Faculty, North Shore University Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program
2001-04 Preceptor, Adelphi University Master’s Adult Health Nurse Practitioner
1999-2001 Member, Emergency Medicine Residency Program Admissions Committee at North Shore University Hospital @ Manhasset
2003-2012 Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine New York
2003-2010 Clinical Assistant Professor, New York University School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine/North Shore University Hospital
2003-04 Course Director, BLS, ACLS, PALS Courses @ Peninsula Hospital Center
200-043 Director, Disaster Committee @ Peninsula Hospital Center
2007-10 Office Preceptor, SUNY Health sciences Center @Brooklyn College of Nursing Family Nurse Practitioner Masters Program
2005-2016 Owner, Fitzgerald Alcindor MD PLLC, Outpatient Clinic, Hempstead, NY
Manuscript Review for Annals of Emergency Medicine: “Older Fallers Attended To By Ambulance: A Vulnerable Population At High Risk of Future Falls”. Manuscript number 2012-825. July 2012.
Manuscript Review for Annals of Emergency Medicine: “Heparin-induced Anaphylactoid Reaction Associated with Heparin-induced Thrombocytopenia in the Emergency Department.” Manuscript number 2012-1565. December 2012.
2012-13: I worked with the Board to finalize the Urgent Care Medicine Outline (Core Content).
LIFE BEYOND THE ED: Transitioning to Administration. An Interview with Barry Rosenthal, MD, EM Chairman @ Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY. Emergency Physicians Monthly, Vol 20, Number 1, 2013.
9/4/2013 I performed an Urgent Care Center Re-Accreditation in Westchester, NY- done for AAUCM
AAUCM Board finalized the Classification of Urgent Centers and published it in our e-Journal
The following list of Question Batches each consists of 20 Urgent Care/EM Board-type questions from the Question Bank of the AAUCM. We have a contract with Exam Master, a company that maintains the AAUCM Question Bank. These questions were written by Board members with answers and references and then analyzed by a psychometrician (a PhD who analyzes the structure of the question, its validity and reliability). The questions are used as CME for AAUCM members, the Board Review and the Written Certification Exam. Each Board member is sent a 20-question batch about twice a month to do peer-review. The Peer review process involves classifying the question to Body System/Topic according to the official Urgent Care Medicine Outline. The Outline is like the Core Content used in EM. Then, the Board member reviews the question for relevance to the practice of Urgent Care Medicine. 20-Question Batches that I reviewed are as follows:
-October 2013. 3 Batches of questions
-February 2014- 2 Batches of questions.
-April 2014- 2 Batches of questions
-August 2014- 2 Batches of questions
Manuscript Review for Annals of Emergency Medicine: “Bilateral Shoulder Dislocation: A Case Report.” Manuscript number 2014-1045. August 2014.
August 2014 Urgent Care Medicine CME Question Peer-Review (25 questions) prior to the AAUCM Annual Meeting.
Sept 5-6, 2014: Annual AAUCM Meeting in Orlando, Florida. Board Question Peer Review and Item Writing Guide and Psychometrics. Information on Urgent Care Coding, ICD-10 and HIPAA. The AAUCM formed a new entity (The National Urgent Care Center Accreditation, UCCA) to independently perform Urgent Care Center accreditation nationwide for the AAUCM. AAUCM has formed a Task Force to explore recognition by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) by hiring an expert with extensive experience in that process.
October 7, 2014- 20-Question Batch Coding, Correcting.
October 21, 2014-20-Question-Batch Review/Coding
October 31, 2014-20-question Batch Review/Coding
November 3, 2014-20-Question Batch Review/Coding
January 2015-20-Question Batch Review/Coding
February 2015- 20-Question Batch Review/Coding
February 2015-20-Question Batch Review/Coding
March 2015-20-Question Batch Review/Coding
April 2015-16-Question Batch Review/Coding
June 2015- Peer Review of Exam Master/AAUCM CME Program of five 50-Question Tests